Thursday, October 15, 2015

A Very Zoya Birthday

My Zoya monster turned six this past Saturday.She's my only offspring who arrived on her due date and since then nothing about her has been predictable.She is vivacious, loving, kind, dramatic, dainty, rough, anti-pants (because she'll turn into a boy), yet climbs trees and tackles her brothers in poofy, twirly dresses.

Around here, we like birthdays a bit too much and by we I mean me and my Zoya. Both of us start reminding everyone at least three months in advance and anxiously await the big day. I always tell people I'm just super glad that I was born! In all honesty, I don't know what I love about birthdays; the one day which is only yours, the celebration of life, gratitude of being able to see another year or just the cake and presents. My love for birthdays has been transferred to my children, but no one more than Zoya.  Following our birthday tradition we decorated our tiny kitchen; bought a tiny cake and wrapped presents for our big girl. We wake up extra early on birthdays to cut the cake and devour it for breakfast weekdays and all. It's  a tradition which I hope continues forever. 

Zoya had asked for a baby doll with a diaper bag and a nail polish; not any old nail polish but a Zoya nail polish. She saw it in a magazine at my hair dresser's shop and since then has wanted it. Jibin and I are pretty laid back parents for the most part but strict when it comes to manners, make-up and a few other things, so the nail-polish wasn't even a consideration.

However, we do have a policy in our home that if a person can convince the others, we are willing to bend and break the rules. Up until Friday, there was no discussion, no nail polish and then suddenly she asked me if I had bought the nail polish for her. I said, "No nail-polish" to which she responded "I don't want any nail polish, it has to be a Zoya nail polish". In my grown up mind, I had all sorts of worries that she's already being influenced by the superficial things, and what if she doesn't appreciate her natural beauty. I also thought she sounded like a demanding brat by only wanting a particular brand. Nevertheless, since we were having a discussion, we asked why did she specifically want a Zoya nail-polish. I did assume that it was her name sake but still wasn't sure why the obsession.

 Zoya said " Because, I am famous". At that moment, Jibin and I were both taken aback rather dumbfounded, to be frank. She told us the truth. A six- year- old's honest to goodness, no nonsense,basic, realistic and innocent response which put me to shame.
We had been corrupting her simple desires and innocence in our minds. To Zoya, seeing her name on a product made her believe that she was famous and that was the main reason she wanted the nail-polish. Nothing more, nothing less. No complicated, over thought, corrupted background story, nothing. Just because she was famous. 

And who am I to tell a six year old that she's not famous? Who am I to destroy her imagination and dreams? So at 8 p.m. on Friday night Jibin walked into  Ulta  and paid $8.99 for a bottle of nail polish...the price of fame. After all, you only turn six once and it's not everyday that one becomes famous. Zoya squealed with joy when she opened her nail polish and told us " All my dreams have come true". 


 Zoya with her beloved nail polish






With Love,
Jawaria



No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line or two!