Thursday, August 6, 2015

Bathtime and World Peace


 
I dream of quiet whilst indulging in senseless television, but when trying to watch the news, I lose my mind  at the slightest sound of chaos. Not because I love watching reality and horror put factually, but because I want to have a slight, teeny tiny idea of what's happening outside of Apartment number 3.
A couple days ago,  as I was turning the volume up for World News, I heard Sayf calling Zayn from the bathroom. Zoya the self-proclaimed "happy helper"(which has evolved from happy to help) ran to Sayf's rescue. Within the next minute, I was running towards the bathroom at speeds which only a mother can achieve after hearing the word "emergency”.
You see, Sayf and Zayn take turns feeding Sophia and it was Sayf's turn to feed her. While Sayf fed Sophia, Zayn and Zoya played in their room. All was quiet...a bit too quiet until Sayf called Zayn. After feeding Sophia, Sayf decided that she looked "too filthy and crumbly" and in order to remove the crumbs from the "filthy creature" he decided to bathe her. He sat her down, diaper intact into the tub and she complied so well that I didn't hear a single babble, scream, cry, laughter...nothing, nada. Not one single sound! When the time came to take Sophia out of the tub, Sayf called for backup as the "filthy creature" was now "slimy, slippery and too heavy" for him to pick up. Zoya, the future actress, when she figured out what had happened, screamed bloody murder and "emergency" a word my children use way too often, mostly in the correct context (which I am immensely thankful for).
All of these events took place within a 5 minute time span and precisely 10 feet away from me. My first instinct was to scream, scold and throw a tantrum, remind them their actions could be deadly. I felt like they were invading my peace and threatening my sanity. All I wanted to do was sit down with a hot cup of tea and catch up on the world events. How was I to teach these children anything if I lived oblivious to the outside world?
I started with the infamous "What were you thinking?" question after envisioning Sophia's head bumping into the faucet or worse. However, a soft, wobbly reply from Sayf melted my heart, "You looked tired so I wanted to help you. Woof was filthy and crumbly so I thought I'd bathe her and then because she was too fat and slippery I called for Zayn". 
At this point, I felt two things: Guilt for only thinking from my perspective and Pride for raising children who have empathy. After apologizing and thanking Sayf for the kind gesture, I explained why I was upset. I didn't scold or scream but sat humbled, and Sayf threw his arms around my neck and just quietly hugged me, tight as can be. I felt his warm breath and a trickle of tears on my neck and he quietly whispered, "It must be hard being a mama but I think I still want to adopt 7 kids when I grow up." Holding him tighter I asked, "What if they drive you crazy or do dangerous things"? To which my Sayf replied, "That’s why you'll be there". 
Mother Teresa once said, "What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family". How aptly put, and a gentle reminder especially for the chaotic days when I want to create empathy and awareness in my children but find myself devoid of it.
 The filthy creature herself

 Sayf with the slimy, slippery creature


With Love,
Jawaria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line or two!