Being someone whose definition of outdoors fun, means lying in a hammock in the shade while reading a book, rest assured sports have never been a part of my life.
A few years ago my then 8-year-old Zayn announced to us that he wanted to become a professional soccer player. So we did what most parents do; nod in agreement, said why not, and bought him the soccer ball of his dreams for his birthday.
As time went on Zayn's convictions became stronger and his dreams grew bigger, and I was unwillingly dragged to practices and games. One day he said, "Mama, my dream is to become as amazing as Messi when I grow up". Being oblivious to who Messi was and being a mother I responded, "You'll be better than Messi". Zayn giggled and informed me, "You do know he's the best soccer player on the planet?" So, I inquired, "Is he cute?" and Zayn wrinkled his nose in pure disappointment.
Fast forward to the 2014 Soccer World Cup finals. Zayn had begged me to watch the match with him and for the first time all 6 of us sat down to watch a sporting event as a family. The match was between Germany and Argentina. When asked who I was supporting, my response was, "This German player looks cute so I'll go with them".
In the midst of the match I saw my 10-year-old cheering for a team he had no association with. I saw him wave an Argentinian flag which he had made prior to the game. Above all, I saw him hold his breath as Germany scored, and tears rolled down his cheeks when Argentina lost. I saw a fire lit within my son, a fire full of passion and dreams beyond the reach of my imagination. That day, I changed.
I enrolled Zayn for every soccer event and started watching more matches with him. He started reading more soccer books and started sharing stats, photos and various tactics with me. As time went on his love for soccer made our relationship even stronger and brought us closer as a family. Zayn forces his siblings to play with him, he practices with his dad,and he talks to me in great depth about everything and anything soccer. Oh, and he wants to learn Spanish because Messi speaks it.
Last night, we watched the Copa America final, and I found myself uttering horrible words at the Chilean team. When Messi missed the goal, my heart sank. When Chile won, I shed tears. When I heard that Messi announced his retirement from International soccer, my heart ripped and neither Zayn nor I could sleep.
Being a mother, I still tell Zayn that he will be better than Messi. But win or lose, Messi has won my heart just like the hearts of millions of his fans around the world. To me, Messi is the greatest hero of our times because he made me understand my son's passion and love for soccer and brought us together.
Mr. Messi, you have already won the most important game of your life...you have won the hearts of your fans (and their mothers). So, thank you, for your passion, your skills, and for showing us what being the best means.
With Love,
Jawaria




No comments:
Post a Comment
Drop me a line or two!