My grandparents used to make me read the newspaper out loud in two languages every morning. It was an activity I loathed, but I now realize how much it helped with pronunciation, enunciation and even understanding the definitions of words. I remember being bored and asking if I could read the horoscopes out loud. (Now normal people might consider it to not be reading, but I was lucky that my grandparents were not your average folks.) They would listen to our horoscopes every day and I assure you, not only did I learn a lot of new words but learned an important lesson, that our destiny lies in our hands not within a strip in the newspaper.
Process of reading a book
I remember reading books and losing myself in a new world; often wishing I lived there or that I was that particular character. To this day, I remain mesmerized by classics such as Alice in Wonderland and The Secret Garden. I remember feeling emotions with and for the characters: afraid, angry, confused and sad, and then rejoicing when everything was alright. I remember curiously questioning from an early age the ‘how and why’ of the story and always wondering about the what- ifs. I cried reading The Secret Garden and remember running to my grandmother and sleeping in her bed because I never wanted to feel lonely or sad. There was another book called The Flying Chair and while I don't remember the story, I do remember the blue cover with a chair suspended in midair. Oh how I wished and desired and still do, to have a flying chair of my own which would take me everywhere. How, I would just sit on it and travel the corners of the world, go on adventures and in case of trouble, my flying chair and I would quickly escape. The chair also seemed to make sense design wise; it made so much more sense than the flying carpet. I mean people could fall off a carpet but with a chair there would be something to hold on to!
Then there are the less known books such as Global Dreams and The McDonaldization of Society. These books opened my eyes to the reality of our world; globalization, impact of big business on the world economy and how the governments were less in control of their countries' own economic needs. As a result the gap in the upper and lower class was widening and the Middle class on the verge of extinction. No longer could a blue collared worker save, own a house, a car and send his children to college, whilst retiring peacefully. In today's economy white collars are barely making ends meet as economies crumble and governments collapse.
These understandings outlined my own personal beliefs and how I wanted to live and raise my children. I have a greater respect for our planet, our purpose and our fast diminishing resources. My purpose and desires became clear : Live small, travel, learn and live for the satisfaction of the soul rather than that of society. Live fearlessly, serve all humans and practice humanity before any religion and above all raise children who can and will make this world a better place.These reads not only made me a better human but also a much better mother.
Reading not only opens doors to the world but also boosts one's confidence, which frees the reader from the norms or the so called ways of the world. It allows one to see the world and life in a different and imaginative way and allows for dreams to become reality. Reading reduces fear of the unknown but expands imagination and vocabulary. Logic defying desires, dreams of flying in a chair, dancing with butterflies and fairies, heroic desires to help strangers, understanding, patience, love for mankind and a strong belief that dreams are meant to come true (even at age 36), all come from books and an avid reader ready for a grand adventure. The great books of the future will most likely come from today’s voracious readers, after all, who better to describe a dance with fairies or a visit to the dragon’s dungeon than the one who's actually been a visitor, even if it were only in their imagination.
Early morning reader
A Princess reading to her "Doggy"
With Love,
Jawaria







No comments:
Post a Comment
Drop me a line or two!