Thursday, July 16, 2015

What's In a Decade?


A decade - the difference between cassettes and mp3s, rotary and cell phones, pound sign and a hashtag. It's the difference of being 24-years-old and 34-years-young.The difference between knowing everything and accepting that learning is a never ending journey. 

Zayn was exactly 10 1/2-years-old when Sophia was born. I was ecstatic to be holding a compact, cuddly human in my arms but also slightly nervous about how my oldest and youngest would get along. I wasn't sure if there would be a connection between them or if Sophia would even fit in with Zayn's lifestyle. We celebrated her 1st birthday and his elementary school promotion within the same week. 

                                                                            
For Zayn, it was love at first sight and so far he hasn't looked back. He took on his role of a big brother with great zeal (more so than he ever did with Sayf or Zoya) and dove head-on into this newfound relationship with diaper changes and carrying a roly-poly, turkey-sized human everywhere. At times he handles her better than I do, especially when she's being an absolute grouch. Even when (5th grade dance) I try to keep Sophia with me, Zayn swoops her away and I stand no chance of getting her back. She is his "Woof" and he has taught her to' fetch', 'sit' and to 'roll-over' upon command. He pats her head and says "good woof, good doggy" and she responds by clapping her chubby hands, grinning so wide that you can see all six of her teeth. 
pillow fight!

As for Sophia, she's Zayn's minion; wherever he goes she wobbles behind. When I scold her, she runs dramatically, 'damsel-in-distress'-esque fashion, collapses into his arms all the while sobbing and pointing toward her villain! A couple months ago Zayn went on a three day camping trip and Sophia was lost. Absolutely lost. It was heart wrenching to see her cry and search the apartment again and again for Zayn. When he returned from the trip, she held onto him for dear life and watched him like a hawk for the next few days. 
The master and his minion

When I look back, I think I was more worried about myself...as to how I was going to start over (all three children were in school when Sophia arrived). I was unsure how I would handle a middle schooler and a 1-year-old simultaneously. I don't know what the future holds for us or where Zayn and Sophia's relationship will go from here. Will they still be inseparable a decade later when she would be in elementary school and he'd be in college? I hope so, but I don't know.

What I do know is that, the 10-year gap is working out incredibly well for now. In moments of chaos and insanity, I thank my lucky stars for allowing me to witness the beauty of the love Zayn and Sophia share.



At Zayn's promotion

With Love,
Jawaria

2 comments:

Drop me a line or two!